Holy Week and Easter
NEW! On Easter Day we entered Eastertide. We would like to keep this webpage for the Holy Week and Easter Resources on this page. Eastertide resources (sermons, podcasts, reflections, daily prayer resources and other forms of inspiration) will be available on a different page which you can find by clicking here.
As we enter Holy Week and journey to the foot of the cross, the ministry team at St Mary's is bringing Holy Week into our homes. This page will keep evolving throughout the week so do please keep checking back to see updates and resources.
- PALM SUNDAY - A recording has been made of the Palm Sunday Passion Gospel taken from Luke. This features a variety of voices you may recognise. You can find it here.
- Also, just below, is the Passion Sunday at Home resource from Bishop David Wilbourne which comes highly recommended.
- On Saturday 5th April St Mary's Church was going to hold a Lent Quiet morning using The Stations of the Cross designed by The Benedictine Sisters of Turvey Abbey. Circumstances have somewhat changed and so we are providing the reflections on this page for you to medidate on as you wish. Perhaps you might like to light a candle as you sit and enjoy the time. The reflections and the images are available as individual documents below and are also recorded as 15 individual podcasts by Martin and Gillian. The podcasts are numbered 1-15. You can find the link for the podcast website here. Just scroll steadily and prayerfully through the reflections and podcasts. The documents below show the images and the each podcast cover image has the image relating to the station. .
- Monday's Reflection has been provided by George Alderson (Reader with Downholme and Marske). He has given us a reflection entitled "A Donkey's Tale".You can find the poem below, and you can listen to the reflection and poem on our pocast site.
- Tuesday's Reflection has been provided by Alexe Finlay and you can find it written below. You can also listen to it on our podcast site here.
- Wednesday's Reflection has been provided by Bob Woodings and Jane Hatcher and looks at the painting in St Mary's Church "Christ before Pilate". You can read it below and also see the painting. You can listen to it on our podcast here.
- Maundy Thursday's Reflection has been provided by Scott Lunn and can be read below. You can also hear it on our podcast site here. A new Compline for Maundy Thursday to Saturday evening has been recorded and you can access it here. And Morning Prayer is recorded fresh every day.
- Good Friday - The Good Friday service is in the documents below. Links out to hymns and the recordings of the reflections are included in the document . But you can also find them directly here along with Morning Prayer and Compline.
- Easter Eve - You might wish a look at the Passion Story as told in sand. You can find this here. You can find compline for Easter Eve here.
- Easter Day - We have a variety of resources available for Easter Day.
- Morning Compline will be available on our podcast site as per usual.
- Martin has recorded Easter Communion for us all and you can watch it here. The words for the service are in the documents below.
- Bishop John has recorded an Easter Day sermon and you can read it below and you can hear it on our podcast site here.
- You can also hear our church bells ringing here.
Bishop Helen-Ann has a blogsite and you can find her reflections here. She is also involved in a national Easter Vigil project for Holy Saturday into Easter Day which will be broadcast online here. Her piece is right before dawn on Easter Day, and if we aren’t up early, the whole content will be available afterwards via that web-address. If we are up early, you can also catch her on BBC Radio 4’s Prayer for the Day Monday – Friday after Easter. It’s usually broadcast in-between the ‘morning news briefing’ and ‘Farming Today’. You can of course catch it in your own time via the BBC Sounds app.